LSR Material Selection
LSR or Liquid Silicone Rubber
Silicone is derived from the element silicon, which is an abundant element found in quartz. Through complex chemical and processing techniques, raw silicone rubber elastomer is produced for injection molding.
Parts manufactured from Silicone are highly adaptable and come with an impressive combination of properties and benefits. This allows them to be utilized in a wide range of applications, making them a desirable choice for many industries and opening many doors of new possibilities.
Let’s explore some of the reasons behind that:
- It is permanently elastic and stretchable, providing a versatile option for products that need to withstand repeated movement and stress
- It's food-safe and drinking water compliant, making it suitable for use in food and beverage applications
- It is heat-resistant and frost-proof, making it suitable for use in extreme temperatures
- It is odorless, tasteless, harmless to health, and even has self-cleaning properties
- LSR can be customized to be highly transparent or playfully colorful, making it a versatile option for products that require a specific aesthetic
- Additionally, LSR is resistant to ozone and UV, making it a durable option for outdoor products
- LSR can also be self-lubricating as an assembly aid
- It is tear-resistant and compressible, making it ideal for products that require a high level of flexibility
- Because of the raw material manufacturing process, customized blends of LSR with incredible capabilities for your application do not incur the cost penalties normally associated with custom thermoplastics.
These and many more properties make LSR a highly sought-after material for a wide range of applications in medical, baby care, consumer electronics, food & beverage, automotive, etc.
In addition to that it provides incredible design freedom and many things that you can’t do in molding thermoplastics you can do molding silicone.
Thick to think walls in all shapes and combinations, very thin membranes, massive undercuts all are completely doable in designing parts withLSR.
* (for non-medical products only)